Director, Marketing & Communications
WWF, the global conservation organization, is one of the world's largest and most respected independent conservation organizations. WWF has a global network active in over 100 countries with almost 5 million supporters.
WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the earth's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
WWF-Canada has a tremendous history of accomplishment, and is currently focused on preventing dangerous climate change, protecting freshwater for people and nature, cod recovery in the Grand Banks and mobilizing Canadians and Canadian businesses to advocate and take action for the planet. This is an exciting period at WWF-Canada.
WWF-Canada seeks a self-motivated, highly-skilled and experienced Director, Marketing & Communications responsible for leading the planning and achievement of strategic communication goals for WWF-Canada. An energized individual who thrives in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment, you are looking for an opportunity that sees you lead a talented team and create campaigns that contribute to WWF-Canada’s conservation and fundraising targets.
The Marketing and Communications Department (Marcomms) develops and implements effective marketing and communications activities that deliver agreed annual targets, showcases the uniqueness and relevance of the WWF brand, builds and protects the brand’s reputation, and promotes WWF’s conservation goals and ongoing achievements to an external and internal audience. As a contributor to the overall donor-centric strategy to maximize income for, and raise the profile of, WWF Canada, the department is responsible for developing and implementing cost-effective integrated campaigns and other communications to key audiences to either mobilise people to action or to inspire support both financial and non-financial for WWF.
Nature and Scope of Position
- Develops and implements a long-term strategy to deliver on the goals and objectives of the strategic plan;
- Leads the communications, digital, social media and public mobilization teams, to enable the development of integrated, external communications campaigns and activities designed to engage audience segments and produce measurable actions and outcomes;
- Designs, develops and implements innovative communications strategies in consultation with the Fundraising and Conservation teams to deliver conservation outcomes strategies, increase public awareness and grow supporter action and advocacy;
- Responsible for development and effective delivery of narrative and for building a culture of storytelling at WWF-Canada
- Establishes benchmarks and reporting mechanism for marketing and communications team goals and develops financial and non-financial targets to measure and report against year on year growth;
- Identifies new and innovative vehicles to stimulate momentum and awareness and evaluates their effectiveness against ongoing communications strategies;
- Works with the team to develop staff media skills as spokespeople for WWF and builds WWF’s reputation as a thought leader in environmental conservation by raising the profile and credibility of WWF staff as subject matter experts;
- Engages within the WWF Network to ensure leading edge strategies are shared and learning opportunities are leveraged;
- Establishes and conducts a risk assessment process that includes approvals to ensure all communications campaigns, PR activities and produced materials are correct and appropriate and adhere to WWF’s Brand Guidelines, and the Advocacy with Excellence Policy;
- Manages and prepare budgets, reports and forecasts;
- Manages and develop staff through effective performance management including the development of individual work plans and motivate the achievement of results consistent with agreed objectives;
- Works constructively in alignment with WWF-Canada’s values and Acts with Integrity, is Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined and Engaging;
- 8-10 years of progressive experience in Marketing and Communications including digital marketing and social media experience
- 5+ years experience managing and leading a high-performing team of direct reports
- Post-secondary degree in Marketing, Communications, or related field
- Experience developing and executing integrated strategic plans and track record in successfully delivering measureable results
- Proven experience developing messages on complex issues to support media outreach
- Proven ability to set priorities, complete work with minimal supervision and meet deadlines
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with internal and external stakeholder
- Proven negotiation and conflict resolution skills.
- Experience developing communications for diverse communities preferred
- Knowledge of, or education in, environmental/sustainability issues an asset
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Non-Profit Experience
- Bilingual English/French is an asset.
This is a permanent, full-time position, based in Toronto.
A resume and cover letter referencing the position and including salary expectations should be directed to email@example.com by July 6 2012. Please reference position DMC777
No phone calls please. We thank all applicants for their interest however we may contact only those candidates selected for interviews.
WWF-Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and aboriginal peoples.