Freshwater Analyst - Toronto office
WWF-Canada seeks an energetic and self-driven Freshwater Analyst to work in the Toronto Office. The Freshwater Analyst provides research, data management, and analysis to support WWF-Canada's Freshwater program, in particular the Freshwater Health Assessment project. This role provides vital data and analysis to ensure WWF's conservation advocacy and actions are based on strong, quantitative, conservation science.
- Work with WWF-Canada’s Conservation staff to develop rigorous, scientific analysis to support the Freshwater Health Assessment project.
- Conduct research and data collection by assessing, compiling, and cataloguing biological, environmental, and traditional knowledge information.
- Complete statistical analysis of environmental monitoring data using the R Statistical package.
- Complete mapping and some spatial analysis tasks using ArcGIS.
- Deliver high-quality research and analytical products within project deadlines.
- M.Sc in ecology, environmental studies, resource management, or similar field plus one year related experience. Specialization in aquatic ecology is preferred.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and research skills.
- Strong database management skills, including advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Office or MySQL.
- Experience completing statistical analysis, creating figures, and scripting in the R software package.
- Demonstrated ability to use ArcGIS software, including Spatial Analyst.
- Experience gathering data from various government and academic sources.
- Ability to work collaboratively in multi-person teams.
- Bilingualism in French/English (oral and written) is required.
- Familiarity with the work and values of WWF.
- Experience with freshwater, biodiversity, species or other conservation-related issues.
- Experience in a government, academic, ENGO or business setting working on conservation issues, or environmental assessment.
This is a 1 year full-time contract position based out of our Toronto office.
How to apply:
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, you may submit your application:
Attn: Human Resources Department
245 Eglinton Ave. Suite 410
The deadline for applications is: September 2, 2014.
WWF-Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and aboriginal peoples.
WWF-Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Representative in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Given the volume of applications received, we request that you do not follow up your application with a phone call. We will contact only those candidates selected for interviews and thank all applicants for their interest in WWF-Canada.