Associate Specialist, Human Resources & Volunteer Program
WWF's mission is to stop the degradation of the earth's natural environment and to build a future in which humans live in harmony with nature, by conserving the world's biological diversity, ensuring that the use of renewable natural resources is sustainable, and promoting the reduction of pollution and wasteful consumption.
WWF-Canada’s 5 Year Plan is targeted at demonstrating it’s possible to have healthy ecosystems and habitats at the same time as healthy communities and economy for long-lasting conservation results.
Position DescriptionWWF-Canada is looking for a proactive, energetic, and service oriented person with experience in volunteer and/or human resources experience to join its Human Resources team!
The Associate Specialist, Human Resources & Volunteer Program will lead WWF-Canada’s volunteer program and will be responsible for the recruitment, orientation, development, rewards and recognition, and retention of our passionate volunteer base. In addition to the volunteer portfolio, this role will act as the point of contact for the Human Resources department, coordinate recruitment, and administer payroll and benefits.
- Develop and implement goals and objectives for the program that reflect the mission of the organization and help to expand the volunteer pool and participation rate at WWF-Canada events and improving the retention of our office volunteers.
- Work with various departments to proactively demonstrate how to leverage volunteers to further departmental goals.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the program and implement improvements as necessary.
- Maintain and update policies and procedures to guide the volunteer program.
- Maintain volunteer records of time volunteered and activities completed for reporting purposes.
- Act as a primary point of contact for volunteers and ensure a meaningful experience for volunteers.
- Recruit office and events volunteers and provide the appropriate onboarding.
- Develop and maintain a “skills based” volunteer pool to proactively identify linkages between volunteers and opportunities.
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization.
- Administer and monitor expenditures for the volunteer program against the approved budget.
- Act as the front-line contact for all HR inquiries (benefits, policy interpretation, payroll questions, etc.) and coordinate the inquiries to the appropriate team member.
- Coordinate the full recruitment cycle for all vacant roles (delegating to the HR team as appropriate), including assisting hiring managers draft job descriptions if necessary.
- Coordinate and conduct all new hire orientation training ensuring a positive onboarding experience for new hires.
- Process payroll on a semi-monthly basis, liaise with ADP to complete all regulatory filings, complete all payroll-related reconciliations monthly, and participate in yearly audit.
- Complete all benefits-related administration (health benefits, RRSPs, gym memberships, etc.).
- Process all HR-related invoices.
- Manage the staff service award program.
- Draft employment contracts and letters for various employment-related changes or notifications.
- Chair the WWF-Canada Health & Safety Committee.
What We Are Looking For:
- At least 4 years of volunteer management and/or human resources experience
- Candidates with (or working towards) a CHRP/CHRL designation are preferred
- Post-secondary education in volunteer management or human resources
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a strong customer service mindset
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks within time sensitive deadlines
- Demonstrated experience of managing the full recruitment cycle for volunteers and/or employees
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers for large-scale events
- Knowledge of current trends, resources and information related to volunteerism
- Payroll experience is considered a strong asset
- Prior experience with Workforce Now and Volunteer Hub is considered a strong asset
- Experience as a front-line contact person for a department or portfolio
- Ability to manage sensitive information in a confidential manner
- Knowledge of HR policies, practices and relevant legislation
- The ability to inspire and motivate others
- Prior experience being a part of a Joint Health & Safety Committee is an asset
- Ability to develop effective, positive relationships and gain credibility across the organization through a customer oriented and collaborative approach
This is a full-time, permanent role based out of the Toronto office.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, you may do so online or via direct mail.
How to apply
Click here to be redirected to our online job application portal or send us your application via direct mail to:
Attention: Human Resources Department
410 Adelaide Street West
Toronto, ON M5V 1S8
If you are submitting your application via direct mail, please be sure to include your responses to the following questions:
- Apart from its mission, what do you feel makes WWF-Canada an employer of choice?
- Are you legally eligible to work in Canada?
- How many years of volunteer management or human resources experience do you have?
- Do you currently hold (or are you currently working toward) a CHRP/CHRL designation?
- What are your salary expectations?
- How flexible are your salary expectations?
- When are you available to start?
- Where did you see this job posting?
Please submit your application by 5pm (EST) September 22, 2017. Please note that this position may be filled prior to the deadline if a suitable candidate has been identified so you are encouraged to apply early.
Deadline to Apply
Commitment to Diversity and Accessibility
WWF-Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and aboriginal peoples.
WWF-Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments.