Senior Specialist, Sustainable Development
This position may be based in a WWF office in Canada, Finland, Russia, The Netherlands, or the U.S.
Make a Change for the Arctic
Do you want to have a positive impact on the future of the Arctic and transform the climate change story? Are you interested in working with an organization that has over 25 years of experience in the Arctic?
Climate change is having a dramatic effect in the Arctic, and development is predicted to attract hundreds of billions of dollars of new spending in the next 25 years due to increased access resulting from loss of sea ice and other climate change impacts, along with a growing global demand for resources.
We are looking for a well-connected, experienced, and strategic influencer who is committed to ensuring a future Arctic that is biodiverse, sustainable, and liveable for the long term. We need someone who excels in international arenas, is commited to moving WWF’s policy and sustainable development goals forward, and who has advanced knowledge of Arctic development operations and challenges in the key sectors of investment, oil and gas, energy, fishing, infrastructure, and shipping.
• Lead the implementation of WWF’s sustainable development efforts in the Arctic and ensures that sustainability is prioritized over exploitation in the Arctic.
• Represent WWF at international organizations, meetings, and conferences. Strategize, develop, and provide expert advice toward and lead WWF sustainable development initiatives.
• Build, strengthen, and diversify relationships with external partners in government, industry, finance, and the non-governmental community, and with Indigenous People’s organizations.
• Build relationships within the WWF network and lead a WWF Sustainable Development Working Group.
• Initiate WWF’s efforts on investment and finance as it relates to sustainable development in the Arctic.
• Develop frameworks, screening products, and other tools that engage different stakeholders, including insurance and investment, oil and gas, and shipping sectors; Arctic communities; governments; and renewable energy companies.
• Monitor regional and global developments in industry, science, policy, and trends in sustainable development, as well as emerging threats to the Arctic due to climate change.
• Develop policy, positions, and community outreach materials and contribute to communications messages.
• Submit interventions and policy recommendations to international bodies.
• Support fundraising and administration: identify new sources of funding, develop and submit fundraising proposals, and pursue and steward relationships with new donors in coordination with WWF colleagues.
What We Are Looking For
• Either Master’s degree or PhD in a relevant discipline for example, social sciences, sciences, policy, economics, business.
• 10+ years of relevant professional experience.
• Advanced knowledge of Arctic development operations and challenges, including key sectors (investment, oil and gas, energy, fishing, infrastructure, and shipping).
• Excellent leadership, management, coordination, motivational, and interpersonal skills, including strong experience coordinating / leading virtual remote teams.
• Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop positive relationships with all stakeholders involved in Arctic development discussions, understanding Indigenous perspectives is an asset.
• Travel to Europe and WWF Arctic offices will be required.
• This position may be based in a WWF office in Canada, Finland, Russia, The Netherlands, or the U.S.
• This is a fixed-term two year contract role, with the possibility of renewal.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, you may submit your application either through our online portal or direct mail. Please submit your application using one method only.
You can submit your cover letter and resume by clicking HERE
Attn: Human Resources Department
410 Adelaide St West
Toronto, ON M5V 1S8
If you are submitting an application via direct mail, please include your answers to the following questions:
1. Apart from its mission, what makes WWF-Canada an employer of choice for you?
2. What are your salary expectations?
3. How flexible are your salary expectations?
4. Where did you see this posting?
Deadline to Apply
This posting will remain open until a successful candidate has been identified.
Commitment to Diversity and Accessibility
WWF-Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates including women, members of visible minorities, persons with disabilities, and aboriginal peoples.
WWF-Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise the Human Resources Representative in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest in joining WWF-Canada. Given the volume of applications received, we request that you do not follow up your application with a phone call. We will contact only those candidates selected for interviews and thank you for your understanding.