Buy this gift right now
and for only $75 you'll help to find solutions to one of the major conservation concerns facing many marine species globally -- bycatch. Every year, tens of thousands to millions of animals are caught when people are fishing for something else – often these animals are dead and thrown back as they’re not wanted. This unsustainable practice has led to the decline of many species of sharks, whales and sea turtles.
One of the major causes of death of the North Atlantic right whale is entanglement in fishing gear – one of the reasons we only have about 450 left in the wild. Globally, most shark populations have declined 70-90% - primarily due to bycatch.
Bycatch is a conservation problem of staggering global and regional significance because it is:
- Driving species to extinction
- Inhibiting recovery of species at risk
- Preventing progress toward sustainable fisheries
WWF is working with fishermen, scientists and the government to better understand the issue and find solutions, like:
With your gift
- Developing best handling and release practices so that animals caught can be released safely.
- Developing and testing gear modifications that could be used to reduce shark bycatch and right whale entanglements.
, you'll help improve species conservation and survival measures in Atlantic Canadian waters. And help address the issue of bycatch!