Count down to Earth Hour
In Canada, populations of more than one-half of monitored species have already declined by 83 per cent on average since 1970. Globally, we’re on track to lose 67 per cent of wildlife populations by 2020.
The causes? Habitat loss, pollution, unsustainable harvest, invasive species and climate change, which risks causing one in six species to go extinct.
This year, when you turn out the lights, show that you want to reverse the decline of wildlife and visit Connect2Earth.org to share what wildlife and nature means to you.
To help reverse wildlife decline, WWF-Canada works toward:
- Meaningful marine and coastal protections
- Healthy freshwater ecosystems
- Responsible development solutions that conserve wildlife
- Low-impact sustainable fisheries
- Renewable energy expansion without conflict with wildlife
- Doubling wild tiger population by 2022
- Engaging Canadians to protect nature