In order to inform the growing debate surrounding this issue, WWF and FPAC have jointly commissioned a national scan of existing regulations, voluntary guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures. Issues covered in this scan include:
- harvesting methods, including technology and system used (e.g. cut-to-length, whole-tree);
- post-harvest site retention of living and dead trees, clumps, patches, buffers and corridors;
- slash minimization and on-site redistribution;
- procedures to minimize site disturbance (e.g. seasonal considerations, site preparation for post-harvest planting or regeneration);
- harvest site selection to avoid harvesting on poor or sensitive soils; and
- other measures to adjust prescriptions due to site sensitivity.
Consolidated table of fine-level assessments
Both of these documents include a general summary of findings, along with a link to the appendix where more detail s provided. As well, from the detailed appendix there are external links to the actual source documents.
We gratefully acknowledge the support from the Ivey Foundation and FPAC in carrying out this project.